Questions A Breeder Might Ask You
- HAVE YOU PREVIOUSLY OWNED A SHIH TZU ?
Your response will indicate how experienced you are with the breed. If you answer ‘Yes’, expect to be asked more questions about how long the Shih Tzu lived, where you purchased it, etc.
- WHAT OTHER BREEDS OF DOGS HAVE YOU PREVIOUSLY OWNED?
If you have not owned a Shih Tzu, the breeder will want to know your previous experience with any dog.
- DO YOU OWN OTHER DOGS NOW?
If so, have you thought and planned for the best way to introduce an new pet to the older one? The breeder may have suggestions to assist you.
- DO YOU HAVE CHILDREN? WHAT AGES?
Some breeders will not sell a puppy to a family that has very young children. Others may make that decision after meeting your family and observing how children behave around dogs - or how they respond to directions for handling puppies.
- WHERE WILL THE SHIH TZU SLEEP, EAT, ETC.
If you have pre-planned these details, the breeder will be reassured about selling you a puppy.
- DO YOU HAVE A SAFELY FENCED YARD, PATIO, ETC WHERE THE SHIH TZU CAN GO OUTSIDE?
- ARE YOU AWARE OF THE GROOMING THAT SHIH TZU REQUIRE?
They must be brushed regularly; the face needs daily cleaning/neatening; regular baths are a must for the health and comfort of the dog. If the owner is not able to do this, there are expenses that must be met for professional grooming.
- HAVE YOU SELECTED A VETERINARIAN?
If you have previously owned dogs, and used this veterinarian, may the breeder contact the vet’s office for referral? Are you prepared for the expense of vaccinations, check-ups, teeth cleaning, etc.?
- IS THIS PUPPY A GIFT FOR A BIRTHDAY, CHRISTMAS, ETC?
Experienced breeders will recommend against such plans. The person who will be responsible for care of the Shih Tzu should be involved in the selection and the interview process. And, puppies should not be introduced to their new home in the excitement of a celebration of some sort. Puppy may be purchased and then taken home at a quiet time.